Winter is soup season, as much at the TR Home as anywhere.
Chicken noodle soup is a classic that many people remember fondly from childhood, and treasure on a chilly day, or when they are a bit under the weather.
But we’re a vegan/vegetarian house! How can we have all the yummy of goodness of chicken noodle soup while staying within our dietary guidelines?
Enter: “Chicky” Noodle Soup, a delicious version of the classic that can be made vegan or vegetarian while keeping all the yumminess you expect and remember.
“Chicky” Noodle Soup
1 Package Beyond Vegan Chicken Strips (or equivalent)
2 Celery Stalks
2 Garlic Cloves
4 -6 Cups Veggie Broth* (or Water)
1 teaspoon Oregano
1/2 teaspoon Rosemary
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 Cups Noodles**
1. Partially defrost vegan chicken strips, enough so they can be diced.
2. Saute Onions, Garlic and Carrots in bottom of soup pot for six minutes or so.
3. Chop or grind rosemary in a spice grinder or with a mortal & pestle. Add to sautéed vegetables.
4. Add diced vegan chicken.
5. Add broth or water and bring to a simmer.
6. Add noodles and cook 10 minutes until soft.
7. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
Invite a friend over to share!
* Make your own veggie stock: The next time you chop onions, peel carrots or use celery, take the peels and bits you don’t want (so long as they are not spoiled!) and boil in water for 45 minutes to an hour. Things to include in your veggie broth: onions, carrots, celery, parsley. Thing to avoid in your broth: potato peels, pepper innards, beets. If you don;t have veggie broth, you can use a vegan vegetable bouillon, available in most groceries.
** What noodles to use: For a more traditional ‘Chicky’ Noodle Soup, use egg noodles. But these are not vegan. If you like a vegan soup, we like to use bowtie pasta. As it gets very cooked, the bowties partially unfold leaving large, flat noodles of deliciousness.